Home Inspector Licensing Delayed until 2020
Legislation that passed late last year requiring home inspectors to be licensed has been delayed until 2020. This legislation was set to become effective on Nov. 1. The delay will allow additional time to make appointments to the Ohio Home Inspector Board and for disseminating the rules that establish requirements for conducting home inspections, standards of practice and canons of ethics for home inspectors. The rules also provide the guidelines for the pre licensure curriculum, experience requirements and continuing education courses.
2020 Member Dues Bills emailed in November
Columbus REALTORS® member dues bills will be distributed via email in November. Please be sure your email address is correct in Flexmls. If you are not a member of the MLS, you can check your email address through the ‘Find a Real Estate Professional’ search on ColumbusRealtors.com. To correct your email address, please call Brandi Mrugacz at (614) 475-4000 ext. 255 or email her at Bmrugacz@ColumbusRealtors.com (please put “email correction” in the subject line). Paper bills will be sent to members who do not have an email address in the system.
Important Changes for Real Estate Licensees
Two changes to Ohio license law will go into effect Nov. 1, 2019, affecting both real estate licensees and those seeking a license. For licensees with renewals due Nov. 1 – Dec. 31, 2019, the following options are available:
- If renewing by mail: You may remit the CURRENT fee (Salesperson $135/Broker $180) with your renewal if you postmark your renewal by Oct. 31. Renewals post-marked on or after Nov. 1, 2019, will need to include the new fee (Salesperson $182/Broker $243).
- If renewing online: Due to system limitations, the eLicense Center will require licensees to pay the NEW fee (Salesperson $182/Broker $243), regardless of when the renewal is submitted. If you submit your online renewal by Oct. 31, 2019, a credit will be made to your file for the difference between the “ new ” fee and the “old” fee.
Additionally, criminal history background checks will be required for all applicants for a new real estate license, including sales licensees seeking a broker license and reciprocity applicants.Instructions for submitting fingerprints for a new license will be posted on the Division's website in the coming weeks.
For more information on these upcoming changes, please contact the Division at (614) 466-4100.
Area Association Holiday Gatherings
Independent Brokers Association Holiday Luncheon
Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019,11:30a
Boat House at Confluence Park, 679 W Spring St, Columbus, OH 43215
Contact: (614) 507-7785
Columbus Realtist Association Royal Affair Installation & Awards Gala
Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, 6p-12:30a
Columbus Airport Marriott, 1375 N. Cassady Ave., Columbus, OH 43219
Cost: $75 per person (formal attire required)
Tickets are available for purchase on Eventbrite
Tri-County Area Realty Association Holiday Breakfast
Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019,9a
O'Charley’s Restaurant, 2272 State Route 256, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
Cost: $25 per person
Contacts: Darlene Kuzmic (614) 531-2050; email@example.com
Gahanna Area Realty Association Holiday Breakfast
Friday, Dec. 6, 2019, 9a
Little Turtle County Club, 5400 Little Turtle Way W., Westervllle, OH 43081
Tickets will be available to purchase on Eventbrite
New Albany Realty Association Holiday Breakfast
Wednesday Dec. 11, 2019, 9-11a
New Albany Country Club
Contact: Jason Davis (614) 207-5247
Powell Area Realty Association (PARA) & Greater Dublin Realty Association (GDRA)Holiday Party
Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019
Bridgewater Banquet Center, 10561 Sawmill Pkwy, Powell, OH 43065
Contacts: Becky O’Meara (614) 264-5100 and KevinNally (419) 360-1285
Area Association End of the Year Reports
The New Albany Realty Association donated $10,000 to local scholarships supporting graduating New Albany High School Seniors. It was also decided this year that the Association would begin sponsoring students who cannot afford to pay the “pay to play” participation fee for sports and after school activities.
Gahanna Area Realty Association raised over $7,000 and presented Gahanna Residents in Need (GRIN) a check for $3,630 that they plan to use to help local families over the holiday season.
New Albany and Gahanna Area Realty Association again teamed up to host their annual golf outing where they collectively raised more than $20,000.
New Vendor Added to the Commercial Preferred Vendors List
Joseph Tree, Phillip Parker: (937) 728-5800, firstname.lastname@example.org, josephtreeservice.com.
Joseph Tree is an urban forest management company that offers commercial
tree care plans. Their two different tree care plans consist of:
- Basic Care Plan: Basic tree care for a fixed annual or monthly cost; foilar and soil testing with one round of Soil Health -- Vital Blend, which incorporates 100 percent natural and organic biochar and humates; clearance pruning from buildings and crown raising off sidewalks, roads, and parking lots; and three site inspections by a certified arborist per year.
- Complete Care Plan: Complete tree care for a fixed annual or monthly cost; includes all necessary plant healthcare treatments, interventions, inspections, and emergency response; guaranteed replacement for any tree that dies under their care; discount tree replacement and installation of new specimens; customized tree care plans; and three site inspections by a certified arborist per year.
Joseph Tree is offering a 10 percent discount on Complete Care Plans. This would be under the condition that the Complete Care Plan is approved for 5 years, the minimum window of time we feel is required to proactively manage a property and its trees. The number of trees on a site/plan needs to meet a certain price threshold; the cost for the Complete Care Plan is based on a price per tree that is determined by its size and would be subject to adjustment depending on the number of trees on the site/plan.
Foundation Fund Donations Due—Dec. 31
Columbus REALTORS® 2019 Foundation Fund donations are due Saturday, Dec. 31, 2019. Remember that 100 percent of your donation is tax-deductible for income tax purposes (less the value of any goods received) and donating is a great way to help ‘pay it forward.’ Interest rates make it a great time to consider a Charitable Trust, or other planned giving opportunities. For more information on how the Columbus REALTORS® Foundation is making a difference in our community, check out the Foundation article on page 19 in the November/December 2019 In Contract, or visit columbusrealtors.com/foundation.
Please send all donations to the Columbus REALTORS® Foundation Fund, Attn: Ida Seitter, 2700 Airport Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43219.
Join a Columbus REALTORS® Committee!
Columbus REALTORS® provide programs and services based on member input received through its 35 committees. If you would like to get involved and serve your industry as well as yourself, then, sign up for a committee using the 2020 committee registration form found on page 33 of the November/December In Contract or click here to complete the interactive form online.
Leadership Academy Class of 2019-2020 selected!
Congratulations to the incoming Leadership Academy class which includes Cody Butler, Coldwell Banker King Thompson; Eric Cliffel, KW Classic Properties Realty; Ryan Conway, Keller Williams Consultants; Jeff Cotner, Key Realty; Lisa Evelinn, Keller Williams Consultants; Carie Igel, Fathom Realty Ohio; Greg Kullman, StreetSotheby’s International; Betsy McCloskey, HER, Realtors®; Fred Rector, Keller Williams Capital Partners; Stephanie Rucinski, Cutler Real Estate; Vanessa Simmons, Coldwell Banker King Thompson; and Marc Van Steyn, RE/MAX Premier Choice.
Oops! Did you mean to unsubscribe from all Columbus REALTORS® emails?
Did you know that by unsubscribing to one email from the association automatically opts you out of all emails from Columbus REALTORS®? This includes important news such as housing reports and industry updates. If this is you and you would like to Resubscribe to Columbus REALTORS® emails, please reach out to Halie Rogers so that you can be sent either the signup form or confirmation email.
Columbus REALTORS® Upcoming Elections
We have two remaining elections this year: Board of Directors – Nov. 5 (3a) – Nov. 11 (11:59a); and MLS Elections – Nov. 25 (12p) – Dec. 5 (11:59a). Eligible voters will receive an email at the start of each election with a link to their ballot. Following are the candidates for the upcoming Director election.
REALTORS® (select 4)
• Terry Bryant, Coldwell Banker King Thompson
• Mandy Harless, ERA Real Solutions Realty
• Sarah Martie, Keller Williams Greater Columbus
• Erin Ogden-Oxender, Keller Williams Capital Partners
• Buffie Patterson, HER, Realtors®
• Kristina Ross, RE/MAX Capital Centre
• Travis Shaw, HER, Realtors®
• Sue Van Woerkom, Keller Williams Capital Partners
REALTORS® (20 or less, select one)
• David Baker, Baker Realty Group
• Jason Hottle, Modern Columbus Realty
Click here to view their bios.
Spotlight on Community Service
Columbus REALTORS® is accepting applications for the first quarter 2020 Spotlight on Community Service recognition. Four members will be selected and featured in the January/February In Contract for their work in the community. If you or a colleague is deserving of this recognition, please nominate yourself or your colleague by e-mailing the nominee’s name, company and community service project to Lhackworth@columbusrealtors.com by Dec. 5, 2019.
Board of Directors Report – 8/21/19
- Membership was 8,154 (as of 7/31/19), up slightly from last yea r (8,089).
- New members approved – seven brokers, one REALTOR®-Appraiser, one
corporate affiliate, five sustaining members and 96 REALTOR®-Salespeople.
- Determined that to serve on the Broker Advisory Council, you must be a principal
broker, managing broker or Association past president with an active
- Sunset the Affiliate Committee.
- Approved changes to the sales award rules, including changing the names of
the award categories.
- Determined that our 2020 NAR directors will include the 2020 Pr esident
(Andy Mills), 2020 President-Elect (Michael Jones) and John Myers.
- Approved a new commercial preferred vendor – Joseph Tree.
Board of Directors Report – 9/25/19
- Membership was 8,248 (as of 8/31/19), up slightly from last yea r (8,166).
- New members approved – three brokers, one corporate affiliate, one individual
affiliate, six sustaining members and 70 REALTOR®-Salespeople.
- Decided to make all Association forms/contracts available on a password-protected
area of the web site.
- Postponed the annual trade expo to 2021 so the committee could discuss new
and innovative options for this event.
- Approved contribution in support of Ohio Opioid Education Alliance.
- Approved revisions to the Commercial Proposal to Lease and adopted two
entity resolution forms.
- Determined that non-REALTOR® COCIE members could apply for the annual
- Approved financial support for the MORPC Central Ohio Housing Study.
- Approved a new commercial preferred vendor – Joseph Tree.
Board of Directors Report – 10/23/19
- Membership was 8,293 (as of 9/30/19), up slightly from last yea r (8,216).
- New members approved – five brokers, one corporate affiliate, two sustaining
members and 79 REALTOR®-Salespeople.
- Nominating Committee reports:
o Director candidates: Terry Bryant, Mandy Harless, Sarah Martie, Erin
Ogden Oxender, Buffie Paterson, Kristina Ross, Travis Shaw and Sue Van
o Candidates from a firm of 20 or fewer: David Baker and Jason Hottle.
o President-Elect Candidate: Michael Jones
o Treasurer candidate: JP Faulkner
o Secretary candidates: Gloria Cannon and Patti Brown-Wright
o Note: election of the current President-Elect (Andy Mills) to President for
the following year is automatic.