OHFA Target Area Loan Program
OHFA’s Target Area Loan Program helps revitalize federally-designated target areas by making our affordable first-time homebuyer loan products and competitive interest rates available to ANY qualifying buyer purchasing a home in these areas.
What is a Target Area?
A target area is an economically distressed area designated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Most Ohio counties contain both target and non-target areas. For a list of target areas, visit http://www.ohiohome.org/homebuyer/target.aspx#downpayment.
How to Qualify?
Target Area Loan applicants do not have to be first-time buyers, but they must meet OHFA’s income and sales price limits.
- Income Limits Sales Price Limits
- 1 or 2 person family: $78,360 New and existing homes: $338,250
- 3 or more person family: $91,420
- Be creditworthy. Minimum credit scores may apply.
- Have a signed Purchase and Sales Agreement.
- Qualify for the loan being requested. Lenders will assess your ability to afford a home by considering income, assets, job stability, liabilities, and other criteria.
Additional property requirements:
- Loans are available for properties up to two acres (unless additional acreage is required by local health or safety code).
Qualifying properties include:
- Existing homes: one-unit single-family dwelling and duplexes up to four units
- Spec/Nearly completed homes: one-unit single-family dwellings
- Modular/Manufactured homes: one-unit single-family dwellings
- Available to any qualified homebuyer
- For new or existing homes
- Below market, 30-year fixed interest rate
- Flexible rate options
- Available in all 88 Ohio counties
- Generous purchase price limits
Down Payment Assistance Options
OHFA loan programs offer options for buyers wanting or needing assistance with down payment and closing costs. You can reduce your out-of-pocket expenses by choosing one of three assistance options: First-Time Homebuyer Program, Target Area Loan Program, and Ohio Heroes Program.
Your lender can help you choose the down payment option that is right for you. For more information, read our FAQs. If you need additional assistance, please contact: Office of Homeownership, Ohio Housing Finance Agency, 57 East Main Street Columbus, Ohio 43215, (888) 362-6432.