Over $73,300 invested in central Ohio
Over 600 local REALTORS®, family and friends cleaned, painted, pruned and planted this past Wednesday as part of the Columbus REALTORS®’ 13th annual REALTOR® Care Day, helping improve 45 homes and organizations all over central Ohio!
Started in 2005, REALTOR® Care Day is an annual day of service to the communities in which REALTORS® live, work and raise families. In the last 13 years, REALTOR® Care Day has contributed over $442,400 in improvements and repairs and hundreds of hours of service to residents and communities around central Ohio.
“As REALTORS®, we don’t just sell central Ohio – we live, work and raise families here too,” said Mic Gordon, 2017 president of the Columbus REALTORS®. “Although REALTORS® give back on a daily basis, this event focuses the energy of hundreds of volunteers all over the central Ohio area and allows us to really make an impact!”
For the main project this year, led by co-chairs Jodee Gallagher, Zach Appleby and Trish Morrow, 123 volunteers worked on 10 properties and two pocket parks in the Hungarian Village neighborhood in Columbus’ south side.
“I’ve been a part of this event for years so it was thrilling to be a part of the organizational team this summer,” said Jodee Gallagher, 2017 co-chair. "It was heart warming to work with so many of the residents here in Hungarian Village. They really appreciated our efforts.”
In total 24 groups REALTOR® Care Day attacking service projects all over central Ohio.
Over $73,300 was invested to accomplish the 45 projects which included:
- Hungarian Village (main project) – Made improvements to 10 properties and 2 pocket parks on Woodrow Ave.
- American Addition – improvements around the entrance sign and Tray Lee Center
- Bexley – Yard work, exterior cleanup and painting for a homeowner.
- Canal Winchester - Added trees, flowers and additional landscaping at Brobst Park in Madison Twp. and hosted lunch at The Inn at Winchester Trail assisted living facility.
- Circleville - Installation of a shelter at A.W. Marion State Park (home of Hargus Lake).
- Clintonville - Yard work, home repairs and planting vegetables for an elderly resident
- Columbus – Franklinton Gardens, Southern Gateway Homes.
- Delaware – Yard work for a local veteran.
- Dublin – Home maintenance and yard work for two families dealing with hard times
- Gahanna – helped a family after the loss of their father and landscaping at Middle School West.
- Grove City - Had a wheel chair ramp built and did some kitchen modifications for a resident who was paralyzed by the West Nile virus.
- Hilliard – Yard work and home maintenance for a disabled couple.
- Johnstown - Installed a walkway at the American Legion Post 254 to compliment the memorial flag pole area completed last year.
- Lancaster - Restored large mural of Senator Thomas Ewing, removed graffiti left and extended decorative lights in historic downtown Lancaster.
- London - Painting, beautification and fundraising for Cowling Park (a community park accessible to children with disabilities).
- Marysville - Home repairs and yard work for a disabled veteran and painting/cleanup at Elijer Park.
- New Albany – Home improvements and yard work for a resident who takes in foster children with special needs.
- Pickerington - Landscaped and much needed home improvements for a disabled veteran and visiting with the residents of Echo Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
- Powell - Bed Brigade (built and dressed beds) at the Liberty Township Fire Department for People In Need of Delaware County.
- Sunbury - Yard work and landscaping for an elderly widow battling breast cancer and undergoing chemotherapy.
- Upper Arlington - Landscaping and home maintenance for a family in need.
- Westerville - Mulching and weeding at McNamara Park in Genoa Township.
- Worthington – Home improvements and yard work for a retiree.
For photos, detailed project descriptions, volunteers, and pictures, visit www.ColumbusRealtors.com/RCD.