Columbus REALTORS® is proud to announce that the Pickaway County Realty Association was awarded its REALTOR® Care Day Weiler Grant in honor of their 2015 REALTOR® Care Day project.
REALTOR® Care Day is an annual day of service to the communities in which REALTORS® live, work and raise families. This year’s event was held on June 3, 2015, with 22 groups and 475 volunteers working on 29 projects in central Ohio and surrounding counties. Since its inception in 2005, REALTOR® Care Day has resulted in almost $300,000 re-invested into our communities.
REALTOR® Care Day is funded through the Columbus REALTORS® Foundation. Area Realty Associations are offered matching funds (up to $500 each) to help fund their community service efforts for this event. Additional assistance is received from many individuals and companies through in-kind donations of money, goods and services.
The REALTOR® Care Day Weiler Grant was established last year to recognize Area Realty Association projects that exemplify the principles of REALTOR® Care Day. The Pickaway County Realty Association will receive an additional $500 in funding which they may use towards their 2016 REALTOR® Care Day project.
Pickaway’s project consisted of purchasing and painting ten new picnic tables, re-painting all existing picnic tables and painting two shelters for Marvin Webster Memorial Park in South Bloomfield.
“We selected this location because we all make a living here and we felt like we should do outreach,” said Sherol Saxton, 2015 REALTOR® Care Day coordinator for the Pickaway group. “We felt like it was a worthwhile project and a wonderful opportunity.”
The group invested $2,260 into this project, between cash and in-kind donations of goods and services.
“The collaboration of everyone in the community from government leaders, to residents of South Bloomfield to the real estate community was so heartwarming to see,” Saxton said. “It was amazing to see so many people stop by to pitch in and help.”
The residents of South Bloomfield were incredibly appreciative of the help that was bestowed upon their community in an effort to make it beautiful.
“I’m still running into people thanking us for our help,” Saxton said. “I think it meant so much that everyone came together and worked hand-in-hand for the good of the village.”
For more information and pictures on the Pickaway project, click here.
In addition to the main project in the Franklinton area on Columbus’s west side, 21 area realty associations participated in REALTOR® Care Day attacking projects in Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Licking, Pickaway and Madison counties. Over $32,656 was invested to accomplish the 29 projects which included:
- Columbus – West Broad Street corridor in the West Franklinton neighborhood of Columbus; Columbus Ronald McDonald House; Franklinton Gardens; and Heinzerling Foundation
- Bexley -- Litter pick up in their community
- Canal Winchester and Obetz -- Purchased and installed smoke detectors
- Clintonville – Home maintenance and clean for a Clintonville retired teacher
- Delaware – People in Need of Delaware County; Second Ward Community Center; and work at the home of a Delaware widow
- Dublin -- Dublin Food Pantry Warehouse
- Gahanna– Home maintenance for a Gahanna family
- Grove City – Kingston Avenue Administrative Building
- Hilliard -- Hilliard Senior Center
- Lancaster – Vacant building in downtown Lancaster
- Madison -- Madison County Fairgrounds
- New Albany – New Albany Gardens & Care Center
- Reynoldsburg – Echo Manor (nursing home/rehabilitation center); and Reynoldsburg Helping Hands Food Pantry
- Westerville Area Realty Association -- Friendship Village
- Worthington -- Stafford Village Assisted Living Facility
Thanks to all who helped organize and volunteered for this outstanding event!!
For photos, detailed project descriptions, volunteers, video and pictures, click here.