Gearing up for the General Election and beyond!
It has been an honor to chair the 2018 Government Affairs Forum– and what a busy year it has been!
It has and will continue to be a huge election year in Ohio, starting with a heated primary in May; the primary winners are gearing up for the General Election in November, which should prove to be interesting. Be sure to exercise your right to vote on Nov. 8, 2018, it is so important.
A few Government Affairs highlights so far this year…
- Ohio Issue 1 overwhelmingly passed during the primary election, creating a bipartisan, public process for drawing Ohio congressional districts.
- There was standing room only attendance at our first forum of the year - Policy and Political Forecast Panel (held on March 6, 2018). The panel featured Republican Strategists Michael Hartley and Terry Casey, and Democratic Strategists Janetta King and Aaron Pickrill. Members were treated to a behind the scenes look in to what will be happening on the local, state and federal levels, focusing on the political factors impacting REALTORS® and our clients.
- In April, ahead of the primary, we hosted the 12th Congressional Meet and Greet for candidates running to replace former Congressman Pat Tiberi’s seat; 14 of the 17 candidates joined nearly 75 REALTOR® members at the Worthington Hills Country Club for an informal reception. If you live in the district, be sure to vote in the special election on August 7!
- We also hosted a one hour continuing education program in April entitled, “Getting to Know Grove City,” hosted by Mayor Ike Stage and Community Develop Manager Kimberly Shields. The first of a new series, our next session is on Aug. 17, 2018, featuring the City of Gahanna.
- We ended April with the Ohio REALTORS® Spring Legislative Conference at which we honored the 50-year anniversary of the Fair Housing Act. Ohio REALTORS® then hosted a reception at the Ohio Statehouse, where we engaged with legislators from around the state - Much grassroots lobbying was done that night regarding private property rights!
- May featured another panel featuring tax attorneys, Tom Fagan and Deb McGraw, presenting “Tax Reform - What it means for you and your clients.” It was very enlightening and offered two hours of continuing education.
- May 10 brought us the ever popular CORPAC Auction where record breaking funds were raised for CORPAC. Thank you to all who supported this event. Your contribution to CORPAC is so important and has significant impact on the direction of proposed legislation that affects our industry.
- Finally, Columbus REALTORS® joined thousands of REALTORS® from around the country, storming Capitol Hill for the annual Midterm Legislative meetings in Washington D.C. Members stayed busy meeting with Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, Congressman Steve Stivers, and Senators Ron Portman and Sherrod Brown. Tax Reform National Flood Insurance and the 21st Century Internet Act were hot topics.
Lastly, on June 27, 2018, the last day before the end of session, the Ohio house passed HB 211 (Home Inspector Licensure bill) by a resounding 74 to 6 vote. While it still needs to clear the Senate, we thank you for stepping up to the state calls for action, your advocacy is helping to better protect the home buyers and sellers whom we represent every day.
Goodness, the year is not even half over. And, the rest of 2018 will be even busier. Get involved, answer your calls to action, and vote on Nov. 8, 2018!